08/26/2011 - Tips to Prepare your Network for Irene
Wondering what to do to help prepare your business systems for this weekend's hurricane? Here are some tips to help!
- If you have a Disaster Recovery Plan already, pull it out, check to see if anything is out of date, and delegate tasks to employees within your organization.
- Do a full backup of your critical information, and take this information off-site. If you have the time, store it in your bank safety box. If you don't have a safety box, take it home with you. Customers that use Inacom's Offsite Backup Service are already covered! If you want, you are welcome to use a Free Offsite Backup Trial. We can't guarantee all of your data will get backed up in time, but chances are good that we can take a Quickbooks file or My Documents Folder before the storm comes.
- Power off your systems, and unplug them. This includes your servers, PCs, Routers, Switches, Wireless Access Points, Copiers, and Telephone Systems. Don't forget to remove the coax or telephone lines from your equpment - lightning damage coming from these lines is very common!
- Move any systems that are on the floor or next to windows to a safer location.
- If you can't afford to turn off important systems, make sure that you have them plugged into an Uninteruptable Power Source (UPS), and that the UPS is properly configered to shut down your system.
- Wrap important systems in plastic wrap, and make sure that they are off the floor.
- Place important documents in sealed, plastic bins.
- Make sure that you have emergency contact numbers on you when you leave the office. (Our number is 410.543.8200).
By Travis Fisher
Listed below is the complete listing of our press releases. To view an article, please click on a link below.